John is an old friend from my RAF Mildenhall days — he was in the UK Customs there. He’s retired to New Castle Upon Tyne.
- 2lb prepared rhubarb
- 3oz crystalised ginger
- 3tbsp lemon juice(1 lemon)
- ¼ pint water
- ½ oz bruised root ginger
- 3lb sugar ½ bottle Certo(pectin)
- Wash and chop the rhubarb very finely
- Put the rhubarb in a pan with the water and lemon juice.
- Add the bruised root ginger ion a muslin bag.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently the rhubarb is tender.
- Add the chopped crystalised ginger and the sugar and heat slowly until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to a full rolling boil for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and remove the muslin bag and stir in the Certo.
- Allow to cool slightly then pot and cover in the usual way.
Depending on your particular taste for a stronger ginger flavour I add ground ginger, about a tablespoonful or more, instead of the root ginger. Best of luck; I hope you enjoy it. We certainly do. Also, a quick tip. When the jam is boiling and before you add the pectin, toss in a knob of butter. This helps reduce scum floating on the surface